“Buy less, choose well, make it last.” – Vivienne Westwood
Here’s what I’m currently using… these are my top recommendations, and the longer they’ve been in use, the more highly they are recommended.
- Savage Worlds. My favourite RPG, in use since 2008. You can do pretty much anything with it; it’s best suited to low-prep pulp adventures.
- Solo. In use since 2018. Intended as an add-on to Traveller for solitaire play, but works just as well with other games.
- Beasts & Barbarians: Player Guide, GM Guide. My go-to fantasy setting; Conanesque sword and sorcery, in use since 2012. Focused on Jalizar, City of Thieves since 2017.
- Trojan Reach: My current science fiction setting, in use since 2018; part of the Official Traveller Universe and designed for Mongoose Traveller.
- Fantasy Name Generator. I find the Turkish names especially useful.
- Space Corsair’s Language Generator. Creates random words in Traveller’s alien languages.
- Traveller Map and Traveller Wiki. Pretty much the entire Official Traveller Universe available online and free to use. The map in particular has number of useful tools.